Re: [vox-tech] gimp - writing to transparent areas?

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:49:07PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Dear Abby/Bill,
>
> Okay, I'm home now.  I have Gimp 1.0.4.  It doesn't have the Layers ->
> Layer to Imagesize option....  Is there a easier way?  If not, what is the
> purpose of having an "image size" if all layers got different sizes?  Why
> does "image size" exist at all?!

Well, you can have a layer which contains, say, a circle.  And you want only
a piece of that circle showing in your image.  You can push the layer off
to the side, or make it bigger than the image.  Later on, if you want to
show more of the circle in your final, flatted image, you can push that
layer over, and not have to redraw the circle from scratch.

I've almost never done anything like this myself (I, too, prefer to have
all layers the same size; the size of the image... unless the image is huge,
in which case smaller layers will help save RAM/time), but it seems to have
its purpose.

I seriously, seriously suggest upgrading to Gimp 1.2

The LUGOD Winter CD has 1.2.1 on it.  Get a copy of this disc if you don't
have one already!