January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] gimp - writing to transparent areas?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] gimp - writing to transparent areas?
  • From: ME <MAPSdugan@passwall.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:52:43 -0700

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Hey guys.  A quick question -- When you resize an image, how do you access
> the transparent area of the image?  Thanks in advance!

I am not an advanced user of the gimp, but....

If you are dealing with layers, you should be able to just turn off write
access to the non-invisible layers as well as sight to them and only see
the invisible layer. (Not sure if this is what you are after.)

If you are not dealing with layers and are just using the
"invisible/transparent" color, then it is treated as a color like most
others, and you can use the "right click" on region with the invisible
color, choose the "Select" and sub-menu choice "By Color" and then choose
close, and then click on the image's transparent/invisible color and you
should see all of the invisible/transparent regions selected at once.

If you have modified the image to save in the older GIF format or another
format that does not support the invisible/transparent color, then that
color is lost (AFAIK) from the image and replaced with something else
(often black, white or grey.)

If that color is not used anywhere else, you can slect that color, and
then cut out that selection, then choose to invert the selection to select
the area that was not transparent/invisible, and then choose to create a
brand new "image" with a transparent background and paste your new acquisition
onto it. (Never really figured out how to flood fill transparent/invisible
with the paint bucket.)

I think Bill is more skilled in use of the gimp than me. (Graphics/desktop
publishing is not my best suit.) Others will likely have faster solutions
or more direct ones... hope this helps. :-/

-ME