Re: [vox-tech] HELP!! (happy now Peter? :P)

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Gage_006 wrote:
> well i plugged in into onboard and got the 1 beep but the screen stayed
> black (no out of range, error) *sigh*  always 1 step away

A methodical test-set might include:

Pull out a voltmeter and check the battery on your motherboard to make
sure it is not dead. If it is dead, replace it.

Then test your machine by starting it again. Fails? Go on:

Yank all of the:
 *all* cards
 *all* memory boards.
 ribbon connectors for FDD(s) and HDD(s) and CDROM(s)
  (You should note orientation of ribon cable connectors and the zero pin
   to make sure you reconnect them properly later.)

Re-seat the memory SIMMs/DIMMs
Make sure keyboard/mouse are properly conected
Connect a monitor that you know works on other machines up to the built-in
video port

Power up the machine, and watch the tests. Do you see a BIOS and POST
test screen?

If so, it will probably complain about a missing HDD or "Primary boot
Fail" or something about a missing HDD of FDD and inability to boot.

If you see this, then power off the machine without making any changes.

Connect up the HDD with the ribbon orientation for the zero pin on the
proper side. (Usually, the zero pin is on the red-colored side of the
ribbon cable and the "zero" pin is shown with a "0" inscribed on the
device and card/board.

Re-power on. Does it come up with a primary FDD failure? If so:
Shut down the machine without making changes.

Reconnect the floppy drive ribbon connector making sure the zero pin is
also in the right orientation on the controll/board and the drive(s)

Repeart boot, if so-far, so-good, then power down, and reconnect CD-ROM.

Repeat boot procedure test.

Continue this for each piece of hardware in card format until all of your
cards are reconnected and no no longer notice problems *or* your system
starts showing symptoms like what you have experienced before. If you
start experiencing problems again, you may have found the card causing
problems.

How does this work for you?

-ME