Re: [vox-tech] more fires to put out

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Doug Barbieri wrote:

> I found this tool online which was invaluable in helping me configure my
> firewall. I wanted full control of which ports are opened but at the time
> really didn't understand ipchains. Check it out at:
>
> http://www.linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/
>
> Click the link "Firewall Design Tool." This site will then take you
> through a series of steps which allow you to setup a firewall to your
> specifications. It then gives you a shell script output which is really
> handy.

I'll second this reccomendation with the caveat that you need to read
through the output and test it to make sure that it really does what you
want. Certain options can have unexpected results or negate other options
- for example, allowing IRC client connections will allow connections
from anywhere on unprivledged ports (presumably to allow DCC
connections).

Still, it's a good starting point - I use it as a base when I write new
scripts, since it includes a lot of useful stuff and gets rid of some of
the tedium of writing it by hand.

jessica