Re: [vox-tech] C Obfuscator

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 05:05:38PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2001, Henry House wrote:
>
> > A slightly oblique question: does anyone know how to turn on national
> > language character support in GCC? ANSI C++ allows all sorts of national
> > characters in identifiers, but a simple test program:
>
> Hmmm... I'm fairly certain ANSI/ISO C++ doesn't allow international
> characters in identifiers.  In "Design and Evolution of C++" (written just
> before the official standardization of C++), Bjarne made it very clear
> that he was against using international characters in identifiers, and
> explained why, and stated that is why they aren't allowed.  So unless some
> change occurred at the last minute, I'm pretty sure international
> characters aren't allowed as identifiers in ANSI/ISO C++.
>
> -Mark

It does - I just checked; and in the same manner as C supports it.

The relevant quote from the standard seems to be (from a description
of the first preprocessing phase):

  Physical source file characters are mapped, in an
  implementation-defined manner, to the basic source character set
  (introducing new-line characters for end-of-line indicators) if
  necessary.

Since it's implementation-defined, that pretty much means it can map
foreign characters however it wants - so chances are, it's
locale-dependant.

Micah