[vox-tech] Another cool ssh feature

  • Subject: [vox-tech] Another cool ssh feature
  • From: Chris Lupo <lupo@ece.ucdavis.edMAPSu>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:05:46 -0700

On another note about ssh2, I learned about the X11 forwarding capability.
I use ssh from a machine that is internally masqed on my home network.  So
I don't have a "real" IP on that machine.

If I want to run some sort of X app from my machine at school, I can't
redirect display to an internal machine at home.  But, ssh automatically
tunnels X11 through the masquerading machine.  This is awesome!  No need
to redirect the display on the remote machine, and no need to allow xhost
permission on the local machine.

Really neat.

-- Chris