January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] AAARRRGGGHHHH! (Translation: Linux got hosed)

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> i'm not sure you're following.   /usr/local should be zilch.   after
> installing linux, just delete the contents of /usr/local and update
> /etc/fstab to mount it from the "old" partition (which you didn't erase).
>
> as for /usr/, there's really nothing much worth keeping there.

Oh yeah.  /usr/local is zero.  But /usr isn't.  And /usr is big.  But I'm
not sure how big.

But even if root is restored, the RPM database won't be restored.  I think
I'll get a new HD and reinstall.  Seems like the best thing to do.  But
first, I should try the rescue CD option -- Like you said, it's worth a
try.

Hmm... what do people think about the SCSI alternative?

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/