Re: [vox-tech] AAARRRGGGHHHH! (Translation: Linux got hosed)

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> mark, i've never installed mandrake, however with debian, you are asked which
> partitions to mount, and debian will NOT touch any partition that you don't
> mount.  so if you don't want /home == /dev/hdawhatever touched, then don't
> mount it.  as long as you skip actual partitioning, whatever partitions you
> don't mount /should/ be left alone.

A problem with that is... I'm not sure if that partition is big enough
to hold the temporary /usr and /usr/local that'll be installed.

> now that's debian, of course.  if mandrake doesn't do this, then perhaps you
> should give debian a try.

That doesn't solve the problem at hand, though :P  I'd like to get the
original system back.

> if you're unsure about mandrake's behavior, get a spare hard drive and back
> up the partitions.

Time to get a new hard drive...  How big of a drive should I get?  How
much should I spend?

> don't you have DSL?  you can leave stuff temporarily on my machine, if you
> want to backup and don't have a spare hard drive laying around.

Too much data...  Thanks, tho!

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim