Re: [vox-tech] how to mount floppy and how to install software inredhat

Re: [vox-tech] how to mount floppy and how to install software inredhat 7.0

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Chan Yan Huang wrote:

> i am kinda new to linux enviroment , so please help me.
> my floppy seems to get error ever time i try to access it,

What's the error?  Which GUI environment (or are you using command line?)
are you using?  Next time be more specific.

> and when i try to install software from cd, i couldn't figure out how
> to cause there are no .exe file that i can just click , there are
> bunch of other format of file, i have to open with some other software
> and i couldn't figure how , so please help thanx

What exactly are you trying to install from cd?  If you have the source,
there may be a GUI utility to untar & install, but I usually use the
command line to:

tar ztvf blah.tar.gz
blah
./configure
make
make install

If you have rpm's then you can use kpackage if you have that installed, or
use rpm from the command line: rpm -Uvh blah.rpm

You should really go to www.linuxdocs.org and read some of the guides,
such as the Admin Guide.

FL