January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] Dual head video cards

  • Subject: [vox-tech] Dual head video cards
  • From: Matthew Snelham <infinite@sigkill.MAPScom>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:21:22 -0700

I'm trying to upgrade one of my systems into a gaming box, hopefully to
save it from it's dreary existance as a workstation / DB server.

I've gotten everything but the video card taken care of.  My key is, I
really need to run two monitors on the machine.  I'm using two Matrox
G200's at the moment, which drive two 21 inchers at 1600x1200.  It works
perfectly under Linux and Windows.

So my goals for a card:

1) Good 3D performance

2) Dual Head support (prefer 16600x1200 on both monitors)

3) Functions (at least for dual head 2D) under Linux.

I've been looking toward the GeForce2 MX, and the ATI Radeon VE. (The
Matrox G450 is a very nice card, but it's 3D perf is sad)

Has anyone used those cards?  Are there any others that might meet my
goals?

All advice welcome!

--Matthew
infinite@sigkill.com

--
  "The best way to make a fire with two sticks is to make sure
   one of them is a match."