Re: [vox-tech] perl redux - references

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] perl redux - references
  • From: Henry House <hajhouse@housMAPSeag.com>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 12:51:28 -0700

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 09:40:48AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> the only error message is that this code produces is that "$James" might to a
> typo because it appears only once in the code.  fair enough.  so i uncomment
> line 3.   NOW the error message is that $James is uninitialized.

The -w switch apparently doesn't deal with this kind of deep perl. Synbolic
references are discouraged; probably -w assumes that you aren't trying to do
this deliberately because -w is intented to help newbies avoid common errors.
The code is fine though; it's just not newbie stuff.

Since I already suggested a hash, I assume you are writing this sort of code
to learn perl better. But the hash is the way to go if you want to be able to
understand your own code when you return to it in a month's time.

--
Henry House