January 6: Social gathering

RE: RE: [vox-tech] Good distro for beginner?

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Deja User wrote:

> I know this is vague, but a colleague of mine is vexed regarding a
> "init command is respawning too rapidly" error. Any ideas? If not,
> that's fine. I've seen this before also, but never found out what
> would cause this type of error. The question seems to be "too rapidly"
> for what? UA

Sounds like they put an ampersand at the end of an inittab line.  init
monitors the processes it starts, and the ampersand disonnects from the
invoked process immediately, and init thinks it needs to start it
again.  Voila! processes spawning like rabbits.  Fortunately, init
monitors for this kind of problem, and pauses every so often to generate
that errorr...