Re: [vox-tech] Good distro for beginner?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Good distro for beginner?
  • From: Cam Ellison <cMAPSamellison@dccnet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 18:36:56 -0700

> Brad Benedict wrote:
>
> I think it's time for me to get a new distro.  I'm not actually a
> beginner, but I'm not an expert, and I want to have an easy
> installation, and all that "I don't want to screw it up by doing it
> manually" stuff.  I've tried Redhat 6.0, 6.1, and 6.2, and didn't like
> it.  Then I tried Mandrake, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, and 8.0-Beta 1, and I have
> too many problems with those too.  One day things will be working
> perfectly, and then without changing any settings, X won't work, or I
> won't be able to log in (pressing keys, but computer doesn't
> recognize).  There's a lot more problems than I want to fix.  I've
> actually been using windows for the past few days, because there seems
> to be less problems (that's very sad).  So I need a distro that won't
> give me any shit.  Could somebody recommend some for me?  If one
> sounds particularly good, I will download it on my state-of-the-art
> 56k (No affordable broadband here) and you will feel good about
> helping a poor boy who's been using windows for almost 3 days in a
> row!  =)  Thanks

You have my total sympathy with regard to your last point.

I have Debian 2.2r2  (I think r3 is now available).  It is not for the
uninitiated, but for those with a bit of knowledge about Linux (which
you seem to be), it seems an particularly good choice.  I encounter
quite a number of anecdotes about people who start on RedHat and then
switch.  Though there are some who go the other way, it seems to be
mostly those who were unprepared with respect to how Linux works.  The
really unique thing about Debian is the packaging system.  It is very
robust and really handles dependencies well.  Go to www.debian.org for
more information and downloads.  If you can afford the $10 to $20, you
might do better to find a reseller who provides a good installer.  For
that, I can recommend Libranet from my own experience.  Though I have
since removed some things (personal taste, mostly), the installation was
fast and easy (www.libranet.com).  There is also Storm Linux
(www.stoemix.com, I think), which seems to have a good reputation.

Good luck.

Cam