January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] UPS

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] UPS
  • From: Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavMAPSis.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:47:00 -0700

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 10:37:50PM -0700, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> hey all,
>
> how trivial is it to set up an apc ups under linux?
> I read the howto, and it seems fairly straight forward, but
> the howto goes into a lot of detail about building cables and switches and
> many fancy things. Don't apc's come with cables? (at least the smart ones)

Cables and software are often extra depending on the OS and individual
model.  APC said they would fax me info on the UPS, if I signed a NDA,
I said no thanks, and they said they would sue me if I wrote a drive
(with or without their docs).

I'd recommend Best Power.

They seem to make much better quality hardware, seems like everyone
I've talked to that has been buying APC quickly ends up with a
pile of dead APC's.

> I'm a little worried about blackouts and whatnot during the summer, and I'm
> thinking about putting our fileserver behind some battery backup...

Makes sense, I'm going for 2 hour life so I spend $500-$600 on a Best
Fortress 1425, hooked it up, the install was way cool, and it worked
perfectly, as a data point:
        2 * PIII-866
        9 fans!
        3 Scsi hard drives
        dual/redundant power supply
        512 MB ecc memory

On the best it lasted about 1.5 hours.  I could use 2 in parallel...