January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] firewall (ipchains)

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] firewall (ipchains)
  • From: Jan Wynholds <MAPSjcwynholds@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:56:17 -0700

Hey Gabe:

I know for iptables you have to echo 1 to the special file

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

With all my ipchains/iptables scripts, at the very top I have:

IPC = /usr/local/sbin/ipchains

$IPC -f ACCEPT
$IPC -f FORWARD

<SNIP>

I am talking about redhatland here, but the same might apply to debian.  Dunno
tho.  I know that in redhatland, you _must_ echo that 1 to that file, otherwise
it doesn't matter what kind of rules you set up, because forwarding is not
'going on'.

HTHO

jan