Re: [vox-tech] noise problems

On Wed 25 Apr 01,  9:53 AM, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us said:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
>

> > ok, this sucks...

1 of 3 says...

> > if i turn up my mixer all the way up, and then turn my speakers
> > about  halfway up...
> >
> > i can hear hissy beeps when the mouse move...(and a lot of hissing)

doctor says...

then don't turn the mixer all the way up!

> Are you _sure_ you don't have an interrupt conflict?
>
> cat /proc/pci
> cat /proc/interrupts
>
> > yes...
> >
> > I think it's time to buy a new soundcard... recommendations?
>
> Not I... Ensoniq AudioPCI? Peter?

good cheap sound card -- high quality for most purposes.  doesn't come with
onboard midi, so you'll need timidity to emulate it.  we all know how to set
it up, and i've been generally happy with it.  my only beef with this card
was that doom *used* to require an external midi player named musserv which
didn't function with soundcards without midi chips.

prboom (the canonical doom port) uses SDL, so this is a non-issue.  doom
legacy still uses musserv, but it's rumored the author will move to using SDL
for the music too.

i usually go for awe 64's; they used to be a beast to get working, but recent
kernels have good support.

if you want the best of the best, you can get the card D+ by audio digital.
but only if you want to do some serious sound processing and recording.  it's
a 500 dollar sound card, but is considered almost studio quality.  alsa
support is "undetermined" so it may not work with linux yet (if you're
wondering why i know so much about this card, it's because i was seriously
considering getting it).

gabe, when you move the wires behind your table, do you hear that too?
maybe it's an E&M radiation problem?

pete