Re: [vox-tech] probably silly rpm question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] probably silly rpm question
  • From: "Mark K. Kim" <mkkim@uMAPScdavis.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:52:31 -0700

Do you still have the RedHat CD used for the install?  Then check the
file:

   RedHat/base/comps (or "compss")

That file lists the packages and the group it belongs to.  You should be
able to write a script (or just cut & paste the section you want) that
erases the packages that belong to a certain group.  Be sure to watch out
for dependencies -- use the appropriate rpm flags to instruct rpm what to
do about file dependencies.

-Mark

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Jessica wrote:

> I have a redhat server which apparently has a default install. Is there
> any simple way to remove all packages in specific categories (eg. X11,
> games)? Or must I go through and remove each of the packages manually?
>
> If the latter is the case, can anyone think of a simple way to script the
> removal of all the packages, given the names of files in a directory?
> (Simply feeding the results of ls to rpm won't work, since not all the
> names directly correspond to the names of their packages).
>
> jessica

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/