Re: [vox-tech] Off Subject and (Probably) Remedial Question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Off Subject and (Probably) Remedial Question
  • From: Henry House <hajhouMAPSse@houseag.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:32:54 -0700

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 02:36:24PM -0700, Cris Clausing wrote:
[...]
> My Questions: 1)      a)  Is mine a valid assumption?  b)     Can / will a file
> generated and used / viewed in the above described manner contain
> characters / control characters?  c)  Is there a DOS/Windows system
> application that will allow me to view such characters?  d)   Can I copy the
> files (from my DOS/Windows system) to my  (HOME) Linux system and use
> something (I'm a Linux Newbie) to view them?  IF so, which application?

I assume you mean carrige returns by 'such characters'. Answer: yes, if you
use the Vim editor (vi = Vim on most Red Hat and Mandrake systems), then if
the carrige returns  are there they will show up as '^M' at the end of lines.
Line breaks show up as, well line breaks ;-). There are rumours that Vim has
been ported to DOS/Win; see http://www.vim.org/

> 2)    a)  Has anyone else run into a similar problem?  b)     Was it an issue
> with the Unix FTP program / interface ?  c)   How did you resolve it?
>
> 3)    Am I asking the wrong group?  Could anyone suggest a reference /
> web-site / book / ? (be nice)?

You ARE asking the wrong group, but don't worry, we don't bite ;-).

--
Henry House