Re: [vox-tech] Duplicate messages

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Bill Broadley wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 06:27:24PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
> >
> > > On the other hand, since I only occasionally see others fall into the same
> > > trap, I wonder how their MUAs are configured...  or perhaps most people
> > > just reply to messages sent to franz and ignore the ones sent to lugod. :)
> >
> > I, too, use pine, and fall into the trap also.  Pine just asks too many
> > yes/no questions (Use "Reply-to" instead of "From"?  Reply to all users?
> > Quote original text?) and it's easy to mess it up.  I just check my
> > header before I send out the e-mail.  I mess up occasionally, but not too
> > often.
> >
> > Someone fix that header!
>
> Generally setting Reply-to: to a list is considered bad, I think there is
> even a RFC on it.  Their is a header that tells ya it's from a mailing list.
>
> I'd vote for not breaking mail headers, and reply.  People can always use
> reply-to-all if they want.

This is not quite as clear-cut as Bill suggests. In the interests of a
more-informed decision, consider

and

 http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

Apparently mutt includes features designed to allow intelligent responses
to various mailing list configurations, but requiring users to switch MUAs
so the list will work seems unlikely to solve the problem.  I agree that
the mail user is ultimately responsible for what the send and who they
send it to, but the solution that yields the fewest overall problems in
normal operation with the actual MUAs in use probably has to win.

I guess that puts me in the "useful" camp, if the address is correct.  But
democracy may not be the appropriate model for this decision... :)