January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] apache security question

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 12:28:29PM -0700, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> I _believe_
>
> <Directory />
>     Options FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> is close to what you have. You probably have a "Indexes" under "Options".
> httpd.conf should be pretty well documented regarding this.
>
> This is from our own web server, which denies dir listings.
>
> hope this helps
>
> -Gabe
>
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Here's a snippet from my conffile that does what you want:

<Directory /var/www>
        # CGI scripts may live anywhere. No automatic directory indexes for extra
        # security. Add 'Indexes' to turn them back on.
        Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI

        # This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
        # override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo",
        # "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
        AllowOverride All

        # Anyone can retrieve the files in /var/www.
        order allow,deny
        allow from all
</Directory>

Also, I suggest you add this:

# Do not allow retrieval of any files that begin with '.' or '_'
<FilesMatch "^[._]">
        order allow,deny
        deny from all
</FilesMatch>