[vox-tech] Debian make-kpkg on SMP systems

  • Subject: [vox-tech] Debian make-kpkg on SMP systems
  • From: Matt Roper <mdroper@ucdavMAPSis.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:56:34 -0700

Is there any way to tell Debian's 'make-kpkg' command to pass a -j
switch to the make command during the kernel build process?  Before
switching to debian, I always compiled my kernels by doing

   make -j 2 bzImage modules

since I have a dual-processor system.  The -j 2 option tells 'make' to
run two non-dependent jobs at a time, which is a big win on systems with
multiple processors.  Since switching to Debian, I have tried to build
my kernels "the Debian way," but I find it quite frustrating that only
one process is run at a time; the overall build proceeds much slower
than the non-Debian way.  I checked the man page for make-kpkg and the
documentation for kernel-package, but didn't see any information about
passing switches to make.  Does anyone know how I could force the kernel
build process to run multiple jobs simultaneously?  Thanks for your
help.

Matt

* Matt Roper <mdroper@ucdavis.edu> *
* http://www.mattrope.com          *