Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]
  • From: Jan Wynholds <jMAPScwynholds@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:25:09 -0700

--- Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:15:10PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> <pete's intro snipped>
>
> > ----- Forwarded message from j ohnzie zie <john_zie_99@yahoo.com> -----
> >
> > Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:57:22 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: j ohnzie zie <john_zie_99@yahoo.com>
> > Subject: help needed
> > To: sys@lugod.org
> >
> > Dear sirs:
> >
> > I am a freeBSD user. But now we want to install red
> > hat linnux on our 2 web servers(HP made), and install
> > MySQL to a database server(HP also).  Could u please
> > suggest which Linux version and MySQL version I should
> > choose.
> >
> > Currently My OS is Free BSD, Mysql is 3.22.
> >
> > I may choose Red Hat prossional as OS in the two
> > servers, because there are two servers there, should I
> > need cluster server or not?
> >
> > Thank you for helping.
> >
> > Best regards
> >

> > John Zie
>
> If it must be redhat, then definitely use version 6.2.  It was stable,
> whereas I don't consider 7.0 (is it 7.1 now? either way...) stable.  I
> use it at home, but had to "downgrade" several things because they
> weren't stable enough for my needs.  If they aren't stable enough for
> my personal needs, I'm sure that a production environment is "right
> out."
>
> As to what version of mySQL you should get, go with the "postgresql"
> version :)
>
> Okay, okay, if you really must use mySQL, the latest release version
> should be fine; but after having brief experience with both, I
> *strongly* prefer postgresql because it is much more robust, and is
> designed the way real database engines ought to be.  For instance,
> mySQL doesn't support rolling back transactions, which IMO is very
> important for any critical database needs; and I also miss nested
> SELECT statements in mySQL, which are available in postgres.
>
> Micah

I agree completely.  My "rule of thumb" with redhat is if they have released an
alpha (platform) version, then it's stable enough to use in production
environment.  Redhat 7.0 has no alpha version, but 6.2 does have a good alpha
version.  6.2 is the stable one (but get those updates).

And as far as MySQL v Postgres, I agree with Micah completely.  The rolling
back transactions is a very important part of any RDMS.  I have played around
with quite a few RDMS's, and as far as the Open Source ones, PostgreSQL is the
best that I have seen.

HTHO