January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]

On Thu 12 Apr 01,  2:06 AM, Mark K. Kim said:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > there are also other issues.   linux SMP is lightyears ahead of bsd.
>
> I wouldn't say it's lightyears ahead

i'm not making this up, and "lightyear" isn't my term.  you can search the
linux-kernel archives yourself and read the (very technical) discussion.

so i'm not backing down on the word "lightyear".   linux SMP is lightyears
ahead of BSD.

> -- Linux had virtually no SMP support until a few years back.

a lot of code can be written in the span of "a few years".    :-)

> I remember discussing with Ajay about Linus delving into SMP when we were
> sophomores or so.

does ajay know anything about computer science?  (i honestly don't know.  all
i remember him saying is that he didn't like programming).

> (BTW, you know the
> lightyear is a unit of physical distance, not time... :)

heh.   but the units of time are the same as the units of space.   :-)
the conversion factor is c.  there's 3*10^8 meters in one second.

> > who have shown themselves to be ... well, wierdos.
>
> I'm sure we seem pretty weird to them, too... :)

touchee.   :)     but i was thinking about the press statements you hear by
bsd developers every once in awhile.  at least you don't hear linus and ESR
going around saying thing like "however uses bsd sucks eggs".

pete