Re: [vox-tech] Re: OpenBSD and Security

I think Adam answered them.

The idea is, they check the code before adding anything to their canonical
distribution.  So when you enable something (yes -- you enable stuff you
need rather than disable stuff you don't) you can be assured that the code
has been checked for security holes, thus giving one a certain degree of
security no matter how smart or stupid they are.

Linux, on the other hand, we just add anything that has any degree of
coolness...

-Mark

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> i think you've basically ignored bill's comments (left intact below).
>
> it's nice that they go line by line.  but how do you address bill's points?
>
> pete
>

> On Thu 12 Apr 01, 1:37 AM, Deja User said:
>
> You should really research OpenBSD if you are interested. They have
> done MAJOR work to secure/harden their system. I read they have
> basically gone line-by-line through the code (and continue to do so)
> to find bugs/insecurities. They have also found many bugs in
> third-party software as a result of their diligence and effort, and
> have contributed these back to the community. They have done a lot of
> hard work, enabling you to get on with the business of serving,
> instead of patching/updating. Since no one can know it all, it is nice
> to know that many have already helped you before you even install the
> system. In this sense, OpenBSD, IMO, is superior out-of-the-box than
> Linux, at least security-wise. However, to each his own. (Trusted
> Solaris!)
>

> > >Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:28:42 -0700
> > >From: Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu>
> > >To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
> > >Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: OpenBSD and Security
> > >
> > >What does Openbsd use for DNS?  Maildelivery?  FTP? NTP? ssh?  Or does
> > >the installation not include this functionality and rely on the user
> > >to install them?
> > >
> > >Is it somehow immune to the bugs that have plagued all the popular
> > >distributions?
> > >
> > >Or is it just because of a much smaller user based that nobody notices.
> > >

> > >--
> > >Bill

---
Mark K. Kim