Re: [vox-tech] Re: OpenBSD and Security

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: OpenBSD and Security
  • From: "Deja User" <unixMAPS_admin@my-deja.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:21:38 -0700

You should really research OpenBSD if you are interested. They have done MAJOR work to
secure/harden their system. I read they have basically gone line-by-line through the
code (and continue to do so) to find bugs/insecurities. They have also found many bugs
in third-party software as a result of their diligence and effort, and have
contributed these back to the community. They have done a lot of hard work, enabling
you to get on with the business of serving, instead of patching/updating. Since no one
can know it all, it is nice to know that many have already helped you before you even
install the system. In this sense, OpenBSD, IMO, is superior out-of-the-box than
Linux, at least security-wise. However, to each his own. (Trusted Solaris!)

>Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:28:42 -0700
>From: Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu>
>To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
>Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: OpenBSD and Security
>
>What does Openbsd use for DNS?  Maildelivery?  FTP? NTP? ssh?  Or does
>the installation not include this functionality and rely on the user
>to install them?
>
>Is it somehow immune to the bugs that have plagued all the popular
>distributions?
>
>Or is it just because of a much smaller user based that nobody notices.
>

>--
>Bill

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/