Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]
  • From: "Mark K. Kim" <mkkim@ucdaviMAPSs.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:11:05 -0700

  1. In my experience, Mandrake is superior to RedHat in every way -- they
     took RedHat and made it better and bundled with better/more software.
     HOWEVER -- I've never tried RedHat *Professional*.

  2. Current versions of Mandrake and RedHat are 7.2 and 7.0,
     respectively.  But RedHat 7.0 has been giving us a lot of problems
     so it's probably better to use RedHat 6.2 than 7.0.  Mandrake
     7.2 has also given some of us some problems but it seems to be
     an occasional problem with certain shaky hardware.

  3. I'd think a BSD would be better for server purposes than Linux.
     Have you tried OpenBSD?  That's what I'd go with personally.
     Many argue Linux is just as good as BSD or better; I think each
     has its strengths/weaknesses and we should make good use of it.

  4. Don't know nothin' about MySQL...  It suffices to say the current/
     most stable version (at the time of production) of MySQL comes
     with many Linux distributions including Mandrake and probably RedHat.

-Mark

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> i got this email just now.
>
> can people reply to him and cc vox-tech?   (i'd be interested in your
> answer).
>
> pete
>

> ----- Forwarded message from j ohnzie zie <john_zie_99@yahoo.com> -----
>
> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:57:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: j ohnzie zie <john_zie_99@yahoo.com>
> Subject: help needed
> To: sys@lugod.org
>
> Dear sirs:
>
> I am a freeBSD user. But now we want to install red
> hat linnux on our 2 web servers(HP made), and install
> MySQL to a database server(HP also).  Could u please
> suggest which Linux version and MySQL version I should
> choose.
>
> Currently My OS is Free BSD, Mysql is 3.22.
>
> I may choose Red Hat prossional as OS in the two
> servers, because there are two servers there, should I
> need cluster server or not?
>
> Thank you for helping.
>
> Best regards
>

> John Zie