Re: [vox-tech] Trouble booting kernel =)

Re: [vox-tech] Trouble booting kernel =)

brad, a few observations:

* your lilo.conf is very complicated.  lots of fat to trim.  do you really
    need a boot message?  i'm not familiar with menu-scheme.  doesn't appear
    in the howto either.  get rid of it.   you can add it later when things
    work.

* no need to specify a root device in each local section.  specify it once
   in the global section.   same with vga.

* you have a many-to-one mapping of images to label.  i'm surprised that lilo
   isn't complaining about this.

* i'm not aware of any kernel parameters named "failsafe".  how did it get
     into your lilo.conf?  i would get rid of it.

exactly what distribution are you running?  this is a very strange lilo.conf!

here is a lilo.conf for an imaginary dualboot system, and represents what i
try to shoot for when i write a lilo.conf.  nice, clean and no caffeine.
never had it, never will:

# Global
#
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=20
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hdb1
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
compact
read-only
prompt

# Local
#
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3
   label=linux
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
   label=oldlinux
other=/dev/hda1
   table=/dev/hda
   label=win95

lastly, run rdev on all your kernel images and make sure the output looks
something like

/    /dev/hdb8

stupid question - your root partition is on the 8th partition of the primary
slave drive, right?

can you post your /etc/fstab?

lastly, what are the messages just before you get a "root fs not found"
error?

pete

--
"Coffee... I've conquered the Borg on coffee!"               p@dirac.org