Re: [vox-tech] Voodoo 3 3500tv under XFree86 4.01

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Voodoo 3 3500tv under XFree86 4.01
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@diraMAPSc.org>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:19:35 -0800

On Thu 22 Mar 01, 12:59 AM, Gabriel Rosa said:

> hey all,
>
> I just got myself a Voodoo 3 3500tv, and I'm having issues getting the 3d
> part to work under XFree86 4.01 under a 2.2.18 kernel.
>
> I have not re-built Mesa with Glide support, so that may be the key,

why are you building mesa at all?  aren't the rpms good enough?

> but
> I'm having issues finding the glide source, for one.

nvidia was kind enough to take them off the web.  i think you can still get
them from linuxgames.com.

> I'm also not really fully understanding the whole architecture of things.
> I thought XFree 4.x did it's own thing with DRI and such, and didn't need
> glide at all...

glide is a library -- DRI is a method of hardware access.  you want "glide3"
which is almost completely unsupported by games (and therefore, you'll play
them with an opengl renderer like mesa).

don't forget the tdfx module.

pete

--
"Coffee... I've conquered the Borg on coffee!"               p@dirac.org