Re: [vox-tech] [no linux] High voltage circuits?

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
>
> > Two different time scales are at work here... the thermal filament warm-up
> > period, and the 60Hz ac time period.  Even if the thermal time constant is
> > much shorter than one 60Hz cycle (which I doubt), an inductor probably
> > won't be a practical solution.
>
> Oh yeah... duh...
>
> > Choosing a larger relay sounds more appropriate.
>
> It sounds like that's the best solution.  But... what rating? I'm pretty
> sure 220A relay would work -- but that sounds like kind of too much... and
> where would I find such a beast?

I dunno... Newark? Digikey? I haven't done this little experiment you are
working on.

I looked around and found
http://www.magnecraft.com/products/catalog/html/section04/page080.shtml

by way of
http://www.planetchristmas.com/

> Looking back at Bill [Broadley]'s postings, maybe I can crack open a
> Clapper(tm) :)

Reverse-engineering is always fun!

> > I haven't done it myself, so I can't say what the actual rating should
> > be.  You are a student... see if you can get a storage oscilloscope and
> > look at the current through the bulb as you light it. :)
>
> What's a _storage_ oscilloscope?  I don't want to kill any oscilloscope...

Remembers transient events so you can analyze them after the fact.  Set
the trigger, when it triggers, the trace is recorded on the screen, and
you can see what happened.

As for killing the scope... if you use 10x attenuating inputs you should
have no problem.  Measuring wall voltage is a common application for
oscilloscopes.

> > Might also consider a 40W bulb? or a flourescent bulb?
>
> I'd rather go with standard light bulbs.

Ok... but 100W bulbs are "standard" too... you have to specify or
overdesign. :)

> > I don't think the resistor is the right solution, since the bulb is
> > designed for 120V, and the resistor solution creates a voltage divider.
>
> Now I see that...  Live an learn.  I'm a student, after all :)

:)

> > Compression connections are best for power transmission.
>
> What is that?

Screw terminals... like on light switches.

> Thanks!

Welcome!