Re: [vox-tech] how to use my hub to connect linux to my dsl?

Re: [vox-tech] how to use my hub to connect linux to my dsl?

Actually, Windows and Linux do exactly the same thing.  It's just that
Pacbell (or whoever) gives you the necessary software for Windows but not
for Linux, so you have to get the Linux software yourself.

If you already got Windows to work, then I assume you already got the
hardware setup correctly.  To get Linux software installed and configured,
figure out whether you have a dynamic IP or static IP.  You probably got
dynamic IP using PPPoE since that's what most places use nowadays.  After
you figure that out, you should let us know what Linux distribution you
use, because some distributions come with the PPPoE software and, if it
turns out yours doesn't, then letting us know what your distribution is
will allow us to tell you what the most optimal way of installing the
software is.

-Mark

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Chan Yan Huang wrote:

> in windows, i literally have to do nothing, it is just like magic ,
> plug and play. we basically use a hub to connect all the computer ,
> and basicaally set all the computer network setting to the same in
> windows.  linux seems to have lots of setting to adjust, btw i am
> using a netgear network card which work perfect under windows.

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
PGP key available upon request.