Re: [vox-tech] debian help

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] debian help
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@diMAPSrac.org>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:05:30 -0800

On Fri 16 Mar 01,  4:15 PM, Chuck Polisher said:
> netconfig might be the stuff.

openay, uckchay. isthay siay ebianday.

> William Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > I just bought a new linux box and installed slink-and-a-half on it.
> > (It had Win98 which I blew away already)

bill, first of all, man interfaces is really what you need.  (after loading
the correct module correctly).  if you don't see it, then the man pages
haven't been fully installed and/or configured.

to see which packages haven't been fully installed on your system:

dpkg -C

here's the bad news.  the slink installer was broken.  the slink and a
half installer that came with o'reilly and va linux CD's is even more
broken.  if you used these disks, i recommend reinstalling from scratch.
if you used the regular slink cd's, you can fix the installation.

here's the good news: this is precisely how i learned to be handy with
dpkg.

now, why would you install slink and a half in the first place?  that would
be like installing linux 2.0.38.  thanks to ted deppner, lugod has a set of
debian 2.2r2 disks.  the installer has always been the weakness of debian,
but the installer for potato was pretty good.  supposedly, woody's installer
is going to be really great (although i haven't seen it yet, of course).

potato rev 3 is due to come out sooner or later, but it's going to be mostly
security fixes.

> > During the install, it asked about network config.  Since I did't have
> > a cat-5 cable handy at the time, I told Deb's installer not to configure
> > it.
> >
> > I tried getting help on the #debian IRC channel but all I got back was
> > "run 'man interfaces'".  That's useless, since the only files with the
> > letters "interface" in them are a pair of text docs regarding the program
> > "gv"!
> >
> > They then told me that it should've been installed with the base
> > install (btw, I picked the "Standard" install, out of all of the
> > workstation, scientific, server, etc. pre-packaged choices)
> >
> > Anyway, what I'd _prefer_ to do is somehow get access to the network
> > config'er again (kinda like you can run "sndconfig" under RedHat and
> > you get that same ugly red/blue screen that plays Linus's voice as a
> > test sound like you do when you initially install RedHat).
> >
> > Any ideas!?  I assume there's some package I need to install off
> > the CD which got skipped.

check out dpkg-reconfigure.  if for some reason it's not on your system, you
can always

dpkg -r packagetoreconfigure
dpkg -i packagetoreconfigure.blahblahblah.deb  (first, find it on the cd)

but do yourself a favor.  install potato.  in the long run, it'll be less
time and effort.

> > -bill!
> > (seriously considering just re-installing from scratch :^/ gpm's broke, too)

you mean it hasn't been either installed fully or configured yet.  :*)

pete

--
"Coffee... I've conquered the Borg on coffee!"               p@dirac.org
       -- Kathryn Janeway on the virtues of coffee           www.dirac.org/p