Re: [vox-tech] Help Lost My GUI

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Help Lost My GUI
  • From: "Mark K. Kim" <mkkim@ucdMAPSavis.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:44:32 -0800

There's a desktop switching tool under FVWM? :P

I don't think there's an easy answer here.  How the window manager runs
(and which one) depends on how the distribution is setup.

You can't just select the window manager at the login screen?  Redhat and
Mandrake (or rather, gdm and kdm) seems to use a file called "~/.wmrc" and
"~/.wm_style" -- what do these files say (or do you even have those
files)?

Also check these files:

   ~/.xinitrc
   ~/.xsession
   ~/.Xclients

If you get desperate, you can make FVWM run another window manager by
creating a file called "~/.fvwmrc", but you'll have to get to know the
file format (check `man fvwm`).  There should already be a global fvwmrc
file called "system.fvwmrc" somewhere on the system you can copy into your
home directory as ~/.fvwmrc and modify (instead of creating your own
~/.fvwmrc from scratch).  Again, this is all in Redhat/Mandrake systems so
your mileage may vary.

Something else that *might* be happening is that Gnome is running FVWM, in
which case you need to open the Gnome control panel (`gnome-cc`, I
think) and tell Gnome to run something else.

My sales pitch -- FVWM is actually a very good window manager, especially
if you want the speed, small footprint, and configurability (FVWM is
concentrated on functionality rather than good looks.)

-Mark

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> I need some serious help.  I was playing around with the Gnome Desktop
> Switching Tool and went from Gnome to some unpleasant GUI called
> "Fvwm."  Now I'm stuck there.  I keep trying the Desktop Switchwing Tool
> in Fvwm, but it doesn't work.  It's broken.  It looks like I'm going to
> have to make the switch frm Fvwm to Gnome by way of the command line.
> Can someone explain to me how to do it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob
>
> --