Re: [vox-tech] Uninstalling

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Uninstalling
  • From: William Kendrick <nbsMAPS@sonic.net>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:26:09 -0800

> The linked file in Netscape 6 is no big deal because the linked file is
> in several sub directories below, so the rm -rf will wipe out the linked
> files.  But suppose you had linked files outside of the directory of the
> program that you were uninstalling?  You don't take hours trying to find
> the linked files and deleting them do you?  Here's what I think.  Tell
> me if this is right.

Some "find" incantation should help you out:

  find . -type l

That'll spit out all symbolic links in the current directory (and
all subdirectories).

At this point, we can invoke find's "-printf" option and display
the files that these symbolic links point to:

  find . -type l -printf "%l\n"

If you wanna remove them, do something like:

  rm -i `find . -type l -printf "%l\n"`

(or your favorite options to "rm" like "-rf"... but for goodness' sake,

  BE  CAREFUL!!! )

:)