Re: [vox-tech] Samba and network stuff

--- pblickiss@ucdavis.edu wrote:

> Has anyone set up Samba 2.2 or Samba TNG as a domain
> controller?  I'm setting
> up a network consisting of a linux gateway, two
> Win2k boxes, and Win9x box and
> various other stuff (maybe a RAID server if I can
> dig up the drives) and I'd
> also like to run a webserver just for the practice.
> This'll all be on a
> network where you're supposed to purchase one
> connection per computer, now
> obviously, I don't want to pay for that many
> connections when I can just pay
> for one and MASQ it.  Any tips on how to set this
> up?  Do I even need a domain
> controller.  What security risks am I taking?  Am I
> insane for taking this on
> in the first place?  Also, how can I make sure that
> the sysadmin for the
> network only thinks I have one cmputer connected
> instead of six? :)  We have
> unlimited data transfer but the line is capped at
> one of three speeds based on
> how much I want to shell out.  Thanks for the help.
>
> Patrick
>
> P.S. Anything else I haven't thought of regarding
> the set-up?
Hey Pat:

In trying to answer your questions:

1. I don't think you need a PDC for the setup you are
describing.  PDC's are used to link multiple subnets
to browse as if they were the same network.  All you
would need is a Local Master Browser (LMB).

2. Your security risks are: the risk of having
everything on your local net be destroyed or
corrupted.  The internet is a dangerous place.

3. Your sysadmin wouldn't know how many computers are
behind your firewall if you masquerade your network
source address (aka change each packet to look like
the source was the masquerade machine, not client on
inside net).  Ipchains and iptables can do this.  I
have some sample scripts for iptables, if anyone is
interested.

4. You're not insane for taking this on.  Just plain
crazy :)

Good luck with your project!

Jan