Re: [vox-tech] Samba and network stuff

pblickiss@ucdavis.edu wrote:

> Has anyone set up Samba 2.2 or Samba TNG as a domain controller?  I'm setting
> up a network consisting of a linux gateway, two Win2k boxes, and Win9x box and
> various other stuff (maybe a RAID server if I can dig up the drives) and I'd
> also like to run a webserver just for the practice.  This'll all be on a
> network where you're supposed to purchase one connection per computer, now
> obviously, I don't want to pay for that many connections when I can just pay
> for one and MASQ it.  Any tips on how to set this up?  Do I even need a domain
> controller.  What security risks am I taking?  Am I insane for taking this on
> in the first place?  Also, how can I make sure that the sysadmin for the
> network only thinks I have one cmputer connected instead of six? :)  We have
> unlimited data transfer but the line is capped at one of three speeds based on
> how much I want to shell out.  Thanks for the help.
>
> Patrick
>
> P.S. Anything else I haven't thought of regarding the set-up?

At work (other people's money):
I've got a set up similar to what you have outlined consisting of a low range
pentium box running ipchains and ip_masquerade. A server behind the firewall runs
bind (DNS), samba shares, postgres, and Apache for internal use only. I could
have run these services on the same box, but this configuration is more secure. A
hub between my TSU (T1 connection) and firewall box allows me to create a DMZ for
external web and mail servers. Everyone but me is running Win2000 on their
desktops with static ip's. Samba and bind function very well in this setting, but
I am not offering a windows domain controller. If you need a domain controller or
want to run DHCP with forward mapping (Windows client updates self), then I
recommend reading this month's (March) edition of Linux Magazine. The bind
article on page 64 has some neat tips on configuring these services.

At home (my money);

I have run ipchains/ip_masquerade, samba, bind, postgres, and Apache on the same DSLed
233 PII without any problems. I no longer run samba, because I no longer use Windows.
The set up was pretty simple.

--
Eric Engelhard