Re: [vox-tech] compiling kernel's in debian? -- NOW piped tar

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:49:00AM -0800, Mytho X wrote:
> Then bzcat kernel-2.2.18pre21 | tar xvf -

I've been wondering this for some time.

Why the piped tar?

I often seen people un-gzipping and piping to tar. Or perhaps tar'ing
and then piping to gzip. Why is this better than, say?

[file you want to un-gzip and untar]
tar -xzf myfile.tar.gz