Re: [vox-tech] Ultra DMA support

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Ultra DMA support
  • From: Jan Wynholds <jcwynhoMAPSlds@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:28:23 -0800

--- Joshua Poppe <jjpoppe@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> My motherboard (Abit BE6) supports Ultra DMA 33 and
> 66 but it is only available on ide2 and ide3 (3rd
> and 4th eide slots).  I found the chip (highpoint
> tech.) in the hardware compatibility list on
> RedHat.com (I am running 7.0) and it is supported,
> but harder to install if it is not the primary ide
> (ide0, ide1). I tried telling the kernel that I have
> my HD connected to UDMA, but alas the kernel didn't
> feel like listening.  I have a clean install of
> Linux on this drive without using UDMA and now I
> would like to use my previous install with the UDMA.
>  I am pretty new to Linux (meaning I know little
> about it but I can navigate a Unix system pretty
> well).  Any help or advice would be much
> appreciated.  Also, I would be wiling to reinstall
> if needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Hey Josh:

I don't think you need to reinstall.  I think that
maybe you don't have ide dma compiled for your kernel.
 RedHat does some funny stuff with the kernel that
they ship.  At least, when I installed 7.0, ide dma
wasn't compiled with the 2.2.16-22 kernel that came
with it.

How are you 'telling' the kernel to use dma?  hdparm?
hdparm only works with the support from the kernel
that it needs for the higher speeds.

If you need help recompiling kernel, just ask :).

Jan