Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users
  • From: "Larry Snyder" <ldsnyder@dcn.davis.cMAPSa.us>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:58:47 -0800

>> ...suggest you change group of /etc/resolv.conf to "dialout", make sure
>> your user account belongs to group dialout...

Pete,

    The second half of this makes sense, since /etc/group contains the
"dialout" key that Bill mentioned, and my username was already in it. But
I'm not at all clear what it means to "change group of ...resolv.conf to
'dialout'." In my ignorance of the system, I can make the English syntax
of that clause mean several different things, none of which fit with
what I can see on the box.

Thanks for the tip on the book. I've also got an earlier edition of Matt
Welsh's O'Reilly book here, which has been some help as a quick
reference as well.

Larry