Re: [vox-tech] detecting overflows

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
>
> > IEEE 754 includes provisions for overflow notification through NaNs or
> > flags, but most implementations seem to support these features poorly.
>
> Err... shouldn't you get infinity if you overflow?:

Err... yes, in most cases(1). My mistake.

Of course, conversion to an integer format leaves no option for
representing infinity.

(1) http://www.engr.utk.edu/eccsw/suncompilers/common-tools\
/numerical_comp_guide/ncg_handle.doc.html#523
suggests that if the rounding mode is setup appropriately, it might not.
As I said, a lot of things got said in IEE754 that did not get implemented
in a standard way at the language standardization level.