Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

larry,

On Mon 12 Mar 01, 11:41 AM, Larry Snyder said:
> > 1. make /etc/resolv.conf world writable:   chmod ugo+rwx /etc/resolv.conf
> > 2. make a PPP connection as a normal user
> > 3. see if it works
> > 4. change resolv.conf back to rw-r--r--:   chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Pete,
>
>       Yes, it works. That is, with the write permissions established, kppp
> does comment out the original file and put the temporary ns information there,
> just as it did when logged in as root before.

glad to hear it worked out.  if you want to leave it this way, i suggest you
change group of /etc/resolv.conf to "dialout", make sure your user account
belongs to group dialout, and change perms on resolv.conf to rw-rw-r- (chmod
661 /etc/resolv.conf).

this will prolly work and not let too many dogs out.  at least you won't
have to make one of the kppp programs setuid or make an important system
file world writable.

>       By the way, can any recommend a good book which covers this
> sort of beginner's info -- what these config files do, how they get written,
> and where to find them -- as wel as basic maneuvering suggestions. Most
> entry-level book assume one will never have any need for console mode or
> term windows.

yes -- i first learned linux using a book "redhat secrets" which has since
been donated to the lugod library.  don't judge the book by its cheesey
title.  it's nothing short of excellent.  the author somehow managed to
cover just the right topics in just the right depth for someone who is
beginning to learn linux.

it's not a book meant to be read cover-to-cover; it's too big for that.
when you have a problem with a particular thing, you can look up "thing"
in the index and read the corresponding chapter.  discussion is concise yet
not too lacking in detail.  breezey writing style.

the book's strength is the author was able to stike a really good balance in
a number of respects.  after i felt that i learned everything i wanted to
learn from the book, i was ready for in-depth books on singular topics and
man/info pages.

the copy in the library might be a bit outdated.  no doubt a new edition has
come out since, and hopefully they didn't ruin the nice style.

pete

ps- how many people here are watching the lone gunmen?  what do you think?