Re: [vox-tech] cut and past under netscape - redux

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] cut and past under netscape - redux
  • From: "Mark K. Kim" <MAPSmkkim@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:17:48 -0800

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> opera takes less than 5 seconds.  more stable: it hasn't crashed on a
> webpage yet, and i've been using it exclusively for almost a week now.

Opera has crashed on me several times and just stopped working.  When I
say "stopped working", I don't mean it froze -- I mean it refuses to go to
any page.  The time it takes to realize Opera refuses to work is too
long:

   1. I click on a link.  It takes too long, so I try to visit
      some other page while I'm waiting.

   2. The other site I try to visit takes too long.  So I try
      other sites that worked a moments before.  Nothing.

   3. I figure Pacbell network's down again so I make a big
      sigh noise -- ::sigh::.

   4. I try ping.  Ping seems to work fine!

   5. I try ssh -- *they* work fine!

   6. I go back to Opera.  It *still* doesn't work.

   7. I try Netscape -- Ahh... it works....  Thank goodness
      it's not Pacbell...

   8. I close Opera and continue browsing on Netscape.

If it's like Netscape, then it either crashes or freezes.  When Opera just
stops working, it takes too long to figure it out!  Now that I'm more
experienced, I can just jump to Netscape or ssh as soon as Opera freezes,
but it still takes a while to figure out that it's Opera that's having
problems, not the network...

Hopefully Opera will get the problem fixed when the new version comes
out.  I think the version I'm using might be a beta version... (5.0b6
means beta release 6, right?)

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim