Re: [vox-tech] compiling kernel's in debian?

On Fri 09 Mar 01, 11:58 AM, Mark K. Kim said:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > and FORGET the boot up sequence for mandrake 7.2 and corel.  nice eye-candy,
> > but i saw mike simons struggle with the corel bootup for almost 3 hours.
>
> Err... <sarcastically>and what's wrong with Mandrake?</sarcastically>
>
> BTW, isn't Corel based on Debian?

yeah; but they have (had by now, i guess) some extreme strangeness going on
at boot time.  at an IF i installed a new kernel to support the guy's dvd,
and it broke their boot up pretty massively.

it totally sucked because the guy saw a very pretty startup, watched me
install a new kernel and tell him it supported the dvd.  then his system
broke.  i was finally able to fix the system, but the bootup msgs were gone.
mike simons took over to get them back, and spent almost 3 hours on it.

finally, the system was good, and i could tell the guy thought we had
damaged the new installation because now his bootup msgs were in text rather
than the fancy graphical thing corel used.  i could see it in his face.  i
wouldn't be surprised if he took the system home and deleted linux.  he
seemed rather bummed about the text bootup.

so now i'm really wary of distros that play around with a graphical boot up,
and that answers your first question.    :-)

pete

--
"...and here is fortress ovum being stormed by               p@dirac.org
    millions of tiny warriors..."                            www.dirac.org/p