January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Laptop Install

On Wed 07 Mar 01,  1:07 PM, Mark K. Kim said:

> > although i suppose that some bozo out there designed a laptop with
> > cdrom card interface.  probably compaq;
>
> The last Compaq laptop I worked on used an IDE CDROM.

you killed my joke.  murderer.   :)

> > however, if you want card services (like a modem, net card or some
> > laptops use this interface for floppies), then you'll want to use the
> > pcmcia boot disk.
>
> You also wouldn't need a PCMCIA boot disk to get access to the modem...
> unless you were planning on installing linux over a modem connection :P

why laugh?  you can pull packages off the net through a modem connection.
makes it so we have all the packages suse has, but we don't have to put
all our packages on a gazillion cd's.

debian makes it WAY easier to access extra packages over a net connection,
unlike redhat and mandrake.

ohhhh, so THAT'S why you were laughing!  :-P

pete