Re: [vox-tech] Laptop Install

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Laptop Install
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.oMAPSrg>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 11:50:55 -0800

On Wed 07 Mar 01, 11:27 AM, Robert G. Scofield said:
> Okay, I got the messages about my HTML posts.  Hopefully, the problem
> has been corrected.  If not, then I'll try again.

thanks!

> Here's my question.  If one installs Linux on a laptopp, does one always
> need a PCMCIA boot diskette, or does it depend on whether or not your
> laptop is configured to boot by way of a CD-ROM?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

AFAIK, laptop cdroms use an IDE interface and don't need pcmcia service.

pcmcia (among other things) implements laptop "card services", including
"hot swapping" for most cards.  hot swapping refers to inserting and
removing cards from the laptop after the kernel has initialized.   IIRC,
laptop cdrom's aren't managed by card services, although i suppose that
some bozo out there designed a laptop with cdrom card interface.  probably
compaq; i think they have company-wide contests to see who can come up with
the most poorly designed hardware.

so the answer to your question is no, you don't usually need a pcmcia boot
disk to get the install going off a cdrom.  however, if you want card
services (like a modem, net card or some laptops use this interface for
floppies), then you'll want to use the pcmcia boot disk.

many intel and alpha platform cards are supported.  last i looked, ppc
wasn't supported.

there's a pcmcia howto which should give a much more in-depth answer than i
could possibly hope to give.  the only card i ever owned was a windmoem, and
all my experience comes from working at the installfests.

peter