Re: [vox-tech] What's the real deal with network cards

Re: [vox-tech] What's the real deal with network cards

I've seen over 9.75 MB/sec sustained for cheap 100 mbit cards on several
year old machines on a non-dedicated network (I.e. shared).

I don't know of any current card that doesn't do full duplex.

Lets take a PII-350, which if memory serves was popular 2 years ago
or so.  It's got a 800 MB/sec memory bus of which 300 ish is usable,
a 133 MB/sec pci bus, of which half or so is usable.  The processor
can execute 350-700 million operations on 32 bit data per second.

Keeping up with a 10 MB/sec stream is 2.5 million 4 byte transfers
to/from the ethernet card.  So thats 140 - 280 instructions per
32 bit read/write the the video card.  Of course there are other possible
inefficiencies, but the real world tests I've done have backed it up.

Of course driver, kernel, hardware, ram, cpu, cabling, hubs, switches,
who you share the network with, broadcasts, etc all can have effects.

I've had a tulip in a nfs/ftp redhat mirror for campus that was
up for 500 days with no problems, at times I've seen people hit
it hard I.e. several nfs installs going at once.  It's on a 100 mbit
campus connection.  I'd say it's worth $14 (pricewatch).  When