Re: [vox-tech] What's the real deal with network cards

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] What's the real deal with network cards
  • From: "Jay Strauss" <jjstrauss@yahoMAPSo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 06:34:10 -0800

So, net/net:

1) From the stand point of Small Office/Home Office using a DSL line,
without any high performance network apps - All cards are created equal
(some are just harder to get the correct driver) - Thus, buy your $5-10
realtek 8139 card

2) Within a chipset - Each NIC mfg is not going to put out exactly the same
performance

3) Use a higher quality(??) card when you have a fileserver or some high
traffic network device?

Are the cards ranked using some standardized tests?

Jay