Re: [vox-tech] Sun UltraSparc 5

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 07:56:59AM -0800, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> It looks like I will be picking up the Ultra 5 as long as I can figure out
> a way to pay for it.  I was thinking of putting either debian or RedHat on
> it (I prefer debian, but companies using Linux on Sun boxes would most
> likely use RedHat).

I recommend Debian because that distro seems to be much stronger for non-IA32
architectures than others. While it's not necessarily an indication, Red Hat
for Alpha had a really lame installed, while Debian for Alpha did everything
right.

> Henry, I do not know if I will be bringing the box home in time for the
> 15th installfest, if I do, does LUGOD have any distro's for the sparc or
> will I need to get a copy?

No, someone will need to make a copy. A Debian net install is also possible
from a location that has a fast net connection, such as my office.

--
Henry House