Re: [vox-tech] ssh problem

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Micah Cowan wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 02:04:21PM -0800, Matt Roper wrote:
> > The problem with using an alias like this is that it will keep you from
> > connecting to sites that have only SSH1 servers (e.g. isun.ucdavis.edu).
>
> So in those cases, why not use:
>
> command ssh
>
> or \ssh
>
> ?

That will work, but what I meant is that an alias shouldn't be necessary
at all; OpenSSH usually uses SSH2 protocol automatically if the server
supports it and falls back to SSH1 only if necessary.  The only systems
that I am aware of where this does not happen properly is on the CS
department computers.  Something on those computers is setup strangely so
that OpenSSH clients think they need to fall back to SSH1 mode unless
forced to continue with the SSH2 protocol.

> You could always set the source code to use -2 for the default.

I thought this was the way the source code came...I haven't made any
changes of my own.

Matt

Matt Roper
mdroper@ucdavis.edu