Re: [vox-tech] ssh problem

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:29:48PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 29 Mar 01, 12:23 PM, Mark K. Kim said:
> > Hmm... works for me:
> >
> >    vindaci:~/.12>ssh1 kimkh@pc10.cs.ucdavis.edu
> >    Connection closed by remote host.
> >    vindaci:~/.13>ssh kimkh@pc10.cs.ucdavis.edu
> >    Accepting host pc10.cs.ucdavis.edu key without checking.
> >    kimkh's password:
> >    Last login: Wed Dec 31 1969 16:00:00 -0800 from
> >    ==8<--
> >
> > I'm using SSH Version 2.0.13 (not OpenSSH).
>
> wow.  it looks like my ssh was defaulting to ssh1.  ick.  forcing ssh to go
> into ssh2 mode worked for me too.
>
> bad behavior, imho.   thanks!

IMHO, too.  I wonder why, since ssh1 is proven to be less secure?

I had the same problem when I was moving, and Joel graciously hosted
my email in-between runs (at the time, I was running a mailserver off
of my box via DSL - I haven't had DSL, since, but I moved my mail to
hurricane electric).  I was using the pre-ssh-2-supporting version of
OpenSSH.  So after I downloaded the newer version, it /still/ wouldn't
work.  Eventually, I got it to work when I forced ssh2-mode.

Maybe we should

alias ssh=ssh -2

?

Micah