Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Large File Support

On Tue 27 Mar 01,  1:02 PM, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us said:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > regardless of whether they created new functions to fix this or not...
> >
> >   is my statement not true?
>
> Which one?  That they created the problem? absolutely incorrect.

jeff, here is a post to the kernel mailing list by the author of the ext2
filesystem.  at this point, you're calling him wrong, not me.

        http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9912.3/0042.html

here's the highlight:

        o The problem lies with ISO/ANSI C's fseek()/ftell(), which use a "long"
        for the offset.  Why fpos_t wasn't used (consistently!) is beyond me, but
        hindsight is 20/20.  AFAIK, these are the only two functions that *must*
        break if >2GB files are permitted with 32-bit longs.  Other functions
        *can* break (like the present case), but aren't *required* to break by
        the POSIX+C standards.

what is your reply to theodore ts'o?

it occurs to me that fsetpos and fseekpos aren't solutions, either.  simply
because of all the code that's already out there that use fseek and ftell.

peter (who is now going on to do something useful today).